Internet Safety Advice
To protect your child we recommend that you talk with your child on an ongoing basis about what he or she is accessing and about how to stay safe online. Reminding your child to tell you about anything upsetting that they encounter online is very important. Having regular and open dialogues about what your child is accessing will encourage them to talk to you if they feel unsafe or uncomfortable with any content online or bullying behaviours.
Monitoring of your child’s devices can also help to ensure they are safe online. Seemingly innocent and harmless children’s apps and videos can be used to share disturbing content and to encourage children to contact individuals that they do not know. Regular monitoring of your child’s devices will bring this to your attention quickly and allow you to take appropriate action.
You may find the following links useful to support keeping your child safe.
- Internet Safety: Parent Zone – https://glo.li/parentzoneonline
- Advice to Pupils: Stay Safe Online –https://glo.li/staysafeonline
- National Online Safety have useful parent/carer guides for popular apps – https://glo.li/nosplatformguides
- NSPCC – Online safety – https://glo.li/nspcconline
- CEOP’s Thinkyouknow for parents and carers –https://glo.li/thinkuknow